[MITgcm-support] MITgcm - CUDA architecture

Samar Khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 23 10:58:29 EDT 2009

Hi Stefano,

I've looked into this briefly with some colleagues from the Computer
Science dept. here (hence my question some months
ago on this list about running MITgcm in single precision - no one
responded!).

Essentially, what we found is that the cost of going back and forth
between the fortran and GPU-native arrays/data-types
was nontrivial, and perhaps much too great to make this worthwhile.
Admittedly, so far we haven't spend much time optimizing
performance or delving too deeply into the algorithm. If you do, it
would be great if you could share your experience.

That said, I have an other application that makes extensive use of
BLAS/LAPACK, and there the performance increase
was quite impressive.

Samar