[MITgcm-support] topog.bin read error in exp2

Jeff Haferman jeff.haferman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 02:04:37 EDT 2009

Hi -
I'm trying to get the verification/exp2 example running.  I've built and run
this successfully on a number of platforms over the last few years, so I'm
not quite sure what the problem is, but on my current machine (running
Centos 5.2 with Linux kernel 2.6.18-92 and Intel Xeons, i.e. an x86-64), I
am building fine with both PGI and Sun Studio compilers.  But upon execution
I'm getting:

PGFIO-F-253/unformatted read/unit=9/attempt to read non-existent record
(direct access).
 File name = topog.bin    unformatted, direct access   record = 82
 In source file mdsio_read_field.f, at line number 2028

This is with the PGI compiler; I get a similar error with the Sun Studio
compile, i.e. the code bombs out when it tries to read the topog.bin file.
I know this is a file filled with 64-bit binary values, and there are endian
considerations to be made.

My build options are pretty simple, the important stuff is
DEFINES='-DALLOW_USE_MPI -DALWAYS_USE_MPI -DWORDLENGTH=4'
    FFLAGS='-byteswapio -r8 -Mnodclchk -Mextend'
    FOPTIM='-fastsse -Mvect=cachesize:524288,transform'

I'm wondering about -byteswapio and -r8 options... these have always worked
fine on other Linux x86-64 machines.  I've copied the topog.bin file over
from a machine where exp2 is working, and it is identical to the topog.bin
on the machine where exp2 is not working.

Any ideas?