[MITgcm-support] data precision

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 12 11:21:14 EST 2009

Hi Renske,

Here is what I think.....maybe wrong....but off the top of my head
this makes sense to me

pressure, and thus eta, is not solved for on the boundaries.  One
prescribes U,V,T, and S.  Since pressure is not solved for, there is
no need to determine eta, and eta remains zero.  I believe if you
consider the dynamics of the model interior, eta (and pressure) on
the open boundary will never enter the equations.  If W is needed
this will come from the divergence of the tangential velocity (the
normal velocity is made divergenceless).

hope this makes sense,
Matt