[MITgcm-support] momentum diagnostics

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 9 11:26:10 EST 2009

Hi Mike,

I don't think there is a pressure gradient diagnostic....and one
reason for this is I believe it calculates this gradient twice in
each time step (the correction step).

If your setup is not very fancy, calculating the pressure gradient
from the pressure field as is done in the model is actually not that
bad, because the model calculates the zonal gradients on the u point
and the meridional gradient on the v point.  One can see how its done
in calc_grad_phi_hyd.F.  Of course, if you have a fancy set-up it may
get ugly....i'm not sure

-Matt