[MITgcm-support] data precision

名 徐 elisabei at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Jan 8 03:52:46 EST 2009

Hi Martin
   Thank you for your answer.It is unfortunate that I still couldn't open the web
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/run_template_cube81/mk_run_template.m
What has  happened,I don't know?Now,I have modified the routine "solve_for_pressure.F " to minus the sea level  raise mean afer some calculate steps.But I couldn't confirm it is reasonable.
  In addition,the eta=0 on open boundary always,why?

PS: My name write in Chinese not in English,so you can't transcribe.

Hi 名 徐,

(I still cannot transcribe your name (o:)

the readBinaryPrec flag pertains only to input data (such as bathymetry, inital
conditions, open boundary values, forcing fields, grid fields etc.) If you use
the pkg/exf, then those fields can be handled separately. Likewise
writeBinaryPrec controls the precision of the output fields that the model will
produce for you.

Regardless of these flags, all floats are defined and handled as real*8 (there
is a macro in the code "_RL" that expands to real*8 and one
"_RS" that also expands to real*8, unless you redefine it, but
that's not really recommended), and you cannot/must not/do not have any
sensible reason to change that. All *_R8/RL routines handle _RL variables and
all *_R4/RS handle _RS variables, but for most (nearly all) people _RL and _RS
are really the same (that is, real*8). So nothing to worry about.

Martin

PS. Thinking about your obcs balance problem, balancing the inflow offline will
be far more effective, if your input fields are real*8 (readBinaryPrec=64), in
fact I recommend doing it that way.

On 8 Jan 2009, at 05:40, 名 徐 wrote:

> Dear all
>      The default value of readBinaryPrec(writeBinaryPrec) is 32 in data
PARM01.Does it imply the input data  precision must be 32(single
precision,real*4).But many subroutines have been call on  the program read data
on double precision(64,real*8) ,such as global_sum_R8 in cg3d.F.Is it a bug?How
can I conform it!