[MITgcm-support] data precision

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jan 8 02:54:12 EST 2009

Hi 名 徐,

(I still cannot transcribe your name (o:)

the readBinaryPrec flag pertains only to input data (such as
bathymetry, inital conditions, open boundary values, forcing fields,
grid fields etc.) If you use the pkg/exf, then those fields can be
handled separately. Likewise writeBinaryPrec controls the precision
of the output fields that the model will produce for you.

Regardless of these flags, all floats are defined and handled as
real*8 (there is a macro in the code "_RL" that expands to real*8 and
one "_RS" that also expands to real*8, unless you redefine it, but
that's not really recommended), and you cannot/must not/do not have
any sensible reason to change that. All *_R8/RL routines handle _RL
variables and all *_R4/RS handle _RS variables, but for most (nearly
all) people _RL and _RS are really the same (that is, real*8). So
nothing to worry about.

Martin

PS. Thinking about your obcs balance problem, balancing the inflow
offline will be far more effective, if your input fields are real*8
(readBinaryPrec=64), in fact I recommend doing it that way.