[MITgcm-support] memory on optim.x => Exit code -5

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 6 00:57:56 EST 2009

Hello,

I am running optim.x (a seriel job) on Ranger.

I run this job for my smaller setup (much less memory needs to be
allocated), and everything goes through smoothly.
I run this again with everything the same but for my larger setup and
it crashes almost immediately with the error:
" Exit code -5 signaled from i142-401.ranger.tacc.utexas.edu Killing
remote processes..."

Does anyone know what this error means?  If this means I am asking
for too much memory (which seems the likely case), does anyone know
if there is a way to use 2 nodes (and thus reserve 64GB) for one
seriel job on ranger? (http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/services/userguides/
ranger/)

Or does anyone have a better idea.  For example, would it be
ridiculous to bring the 4GB ecco_c* files over to Stommell (or some
other local machine) and run the linesearch there?

Thanks!
-Matt