[MITgcm-support] Energy diagnostics?

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Sun Feb 15 16:25:52 EST 2009

Hi all,

Before I spend a couple of days doing this, has anyone gone through
the effort of calculating energy diagnostics?

I'm running barotropic flow over an obstacle (all in 2-D).  If I take
every timestep I can get a decent energy budget:

(d/dt)\int E dV = \oint (E+P) u \cdot dA + \int \epsilon dV

where \epsilon is specified and numerical dissipation.  However (E+P)u
changes so much over my output timesteps the residual when compared w/
dE/dt is unrealistically large.      Averaging the linear and non-
linear flux over the dump interval should give a much better estimate.

Has anyone done this?  If not, I'll share my code.

Thanks,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/