[MITgcm-support] Output SGS dissipation

Abbas Dorostkar dorostkara at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:25:18 EST 2009

Dear all,
I was wondering if we are able to output the sub-grid scale dissipation from
the MITgcm (using diagnostic package) when I employ SGS closures?
As MITgcm is a RANSE model with a SGS closure and a drag formulation for
boundary flow.  I think we can't get dissipation from integration of the
gradients and will need to keep track of modelled rates within the closure
scheme. Please correct me If I am wrong.
However, if we use a constant turbulent viscosity can we then get
dissipation through integration of the gradients over the domain using the
artificial viscosity in place of nu?
Please let me know your comments.
Thanks,
Abbas