[MITgcm-support] New to list, and issue with natl_box_adjoint

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 7 17:19:14 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On Aug 7, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Caroline Papadopoulos wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to the list, and although I have run the model before for
> others, I am starting to get more involved and setting things up
> myself.  I am at SIO working with the ecco group as a programmer.
> I have been working on getting the natl_box_adjoint code to work
> with experiment no 1.  With help (thanks Matt!!) the following
> items were found to make it run, it would not run out of the box,
> mostly changes to the README doc and one bug? I am using checkpoint
> 61T on ia64 using PGI.

Welcome to the list.

> From the documentation file README has batsi.mit.edu for the
> datasets but this needs to be harbor.mit.edu.  I tried to use
> wget, but robot.txt had it so that did not work, so I just used ftp.

We've done some server hardware & software changes,
and indeed have new machine names.
Thanks for pointing this out.

As for the rest, there are no bugs, everything is in order.
Please read on for details.

> It appears that ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE is now the default rather
> than the exception,

No, that's not the case, air-sea fluxes remain "default"
(i.e. if CPP options are undef).

> so in EXF_OPTIONS.h it was necessary to
> change:
>
> 	#define  ALLOW_ATM_WIND

> 	#undef  ALLOW_ATM_WIND

No, that's not the case, no change needs to be made to EXF_OPTIONS.h
Since you are using
#define ALLOW_AUTODIFF_TAMC
whatever is in EXF_OPTIONS.h gets ignored and replaced by
ECCO_CPPOPTIONS.h
(I just tested it for latest code, it still works).

> to allow experiment #1 to run.  That about covers the README
> changes for experiment 1.
>

> We also found this as a supsected bug:
>
> in exf_check.F at line 64:
>

> #ifndef ALLOW_ATM_WIND
>       IF ( uwindfile .NE. ' ' .OR. vwindfile .NE. ' ' ) THEN
>         STOP
>      & 'S/R EXF_CHECK: read-in wind-stress but not u,v_wind
> components'
>       ENDIF
> #endif
>

> should be
>
> #ifdef ALLOW_ATM_WIND
>       IF ( uwindfile .NE. ' ' .OR. vwindfile .NE. ' ' ) THEN
>         STOP
>      & 'S/R EXF_CHECK: read-in wind-stress but not u,v_wind
> components'
>       ENDIF
> #endif

No, that's not the case.
This is a test to catch the possibility that you think you are using
uwindfile, vwindfile,
but are using
#undef ALLOW_ATM_WIND
Your suggestion would mostly stop the model.

> One final question, I know this is a lot for one email, does anyone
> know if the datasets like:
>
>     PH_S_93_opbd__020_016_23.data
>
> correspond to a particular open boundary?  I did not find anything
> in the README.

It's Southern OB for the 20x16x23 setup.
File name is arbitrary, file content purely for testing purposes,
you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Cheers
-Patrick