[MITgcm-support] New to list, and issue with natl_box_adjoint

Caroline Papadopoulos cpapadop at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 7 15:47:13 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I am new to the list, and although I have run the model before for
others, I am starting to get more involved and setting things up
myself.  I am at SIO working with the ecco group as a programmer.  I
have been working on getting the natl_box_adjoint code to work with
experiment no 1.  With help (thanks Matt!!) the following items were
found to make it run, it would not run out of the box, mostly changes to
the README doc and one bug? I am using checkpoint 61T on ia64 using PGI.

 From the documentation file README has batsi.mit.edu for the
datasets but this needs to be harbor.mit.edu.  I tried to use
wget, but robot.txt had it so that did not work, so I just used
ftp.  It appears that ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE is now the default rather
than the exception, so in EXF_OPTIONS.h it was necessary to
change:

	#define  ALLOW_ATM_WIND

	#undef  ALLOW_ATM_WIND

to allow experiment #1 to run.  That about covers the README
changes for experiment 1.

We also found this as a supsected bug:

in exf_check.F at line 64:

#ifndef ALLOW_ATM_WIND
       IF ( uwindfile .NE. ' ' .OR. vwindfile .NE. ' ' ) THEN
         STOP
      & 'S/R EXF_CHECK: read-in wind-stress but not u,v_wind components'
       ENDIF
#endif

should be

#ifdef ALLOW_ATM_WIND
       IF ( uwindfile .NE. ' ' .OR. vwindfile .NE. ' ' ) THEN
         STOP
      & 'S/R EXF_CHECK: read-in wind-stress but not u,v_wind components'
       ENDIF
#endif

One final question, I know this is a lot for one email, does anyone
know if the datasets like:

     PH_S_93_opbd__020_016_23.data

correspond to a particular open boundary?  I did not find anything in
the README.

thanks,

Caroline

--
==  Caroline Papadopoulos         Physical Oceanography Research Division
==			  	  Scripps Institution of Oceanography