[MITgcm-support] how to initialize a 2D geostrophic flow

q li qliuri at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 09:35:17 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to start the model with a geostrophic flow in a 2D domain. The model domain in in x-z (longtitude-depth) plane. I am trying to start it with a geostrophic jet in the transverse direction. The center of the jet is in the center and it decays in both side to appoach zero in the boudary. I have the initial temperature structures. Using the geopotential, I can get the geostrophic flow (jet). The question is how to set up the initial condition.

There is an option in the "data" file: hydrogThetaFile='filename'. If I only set up this file using my temperature profile, with model time going on, will my geostrophic jet decay away because of the geostrophic adjustment?

Do I also need set up the initial velocity file v(x,z) together with hydrogThetaFile? v(x,z) is calcualted from temperature based on geopotential or thermal wind. I cannot find the option in the manual.

By the way, is there any flowchart to show how MITgcm works?

Thanks.

Li