[MITgcm-support] No. of processes not equal to nPx*nPy

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 21 19:52:11 EDT 2009

Hi Jean-Michel

I keep a bunch of SIZE_Np.h_mpi
(where N is the number of processors to use).
My SIZE.h is just a soft link to that particular number
of processors I want to use.
This is very convenient when you have to accommodate with
other user jobs in a cluster with a batch queue,
shrinking or expanding the number of requested processes
depending on their availability and queue status.

The new genmake2 scheme will break this, right?
What is the upside of the new genmake2 scheme?
Can it be reverted to the old one?

Of course I can rename the files SIZE_Np.h_mpi with a
different suffix.
However, if the decision to use different include files
is based on slightly different file names,
and is hidden inside genmake2,
this may trick users, as it may have done to Nico.
Including a single SIZE.h with the standard file name
avoids confusion.

Just a suggestion.

Thank you,
Gus Correa