[MITgcm-support] Questions about LES / turbulent viscosities

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Sep 17 15:02:07 EDT 2008

The simplests Richardson number based mixed layer model is
implemented in the pp81 (Pacanowski+Philander, 1981). The MY82
package codes the 2nd order MY model, not the 2.5 order model, so
it's also quite simple. In both case the Richardson number is
computed from buoyancy frequency and vertical shear of horizontal
velocities, so again no vertical velocities involved in the
computation of the viscosity parameter, sorry. But it may be enough
for your purposes. In the PP81 model you can change the viscosity by
adjusting PPnu0.

If your flow is primarily horizontal, then you should be fine.

Martin