[MITgcm-support] Questions about LES / turbulent viscosities

David Hebert david.hebert.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Wed Sep 17 13:48:20 EDT 2008

Thanks Martin for your input regarding the sub-grid scale parameters. I
am looking through the code and see Mellor Yamada 82 package. It looks
like this computes vertical viscosities and diffusivities based on
Richardson number. I am trying to model flow over submerged alps, and
perhaps this might suffice for a variable viscosity/diffusivity package.
Perhaps this can be used in conjunction with Smagorinski for horizontal
parameters? I sill plan on running in non-hydrostatic mode, but would
like some turbulent mixing effects downstream of the alps.

Thanks,

David