[MITgcm-support] mask_values

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Oct 8 10:36:51 EDT 2008

Letizia,

there is no code (that I know of) that reads "masks" per se. The
model generates masks from the topography file. These are then
written as hFacC, hFacS, hFacW (actually the fractional cell
thickness for theta, u, and v-points, anything >0 is ocean,
anything==0 is "dry"). If your input fields (e.g. theta) has non
zeros values over land, they are simply ignored. if your input theta
has zero values in the ocean (where hfacc turns out to be >0) then
the model stops assuming that this is incorrect (ini_theta.F). So you
have to make sure beforehand that your bathymetry file and our
initial conditions match up.
Maybe it's a good idea to study one of the tutorial examples closely
to see how it works, e.g. tutorial_global_oce_latlon.

Martin