[MITgcm-support] Problem with Bathymetry

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 10 05:07:03 EST 2008

Abbas,

it's not clear (to me) what you are trying to do. A general procedure
for generating a new model domain (regardless of ocean/marginal sea/
lake) would be:
1. define the grid: a. number of grid points: set Nx,Ny (via
sNx*nSx*pNx etc in SIZE.h), b. grid spacing (via delX/Y or dX/
Yspacing and choice of coordinate systems in "data"/PARM04)
2. create bathymetry file. This file needs the same number of grid
points as defined in SIZE.h (Nx,Ny); the vertical axis is positive
upwards, that is, negative values describe topography below sea
level. Positive values are interpreted as land. The file needs to be
IEEE big endian, unblocked, fortran-unformated, direct access file,
with matlab this is easy:
h=-1000*ones(nx,ny);
fid=fopen('bathy.file','r','b'); fwrite(fid,h,'real*4'); fclose(fid);
for a constant depth of 1000m, saved as single precision (then you
need to set readbinaryprec=32 in data)

Does that help?

Martin