[MITgcm-support] How to search the MITgcm list

Nikolay Koldunov koldunovn at gmail.com
Thu May 29 04:47:20 EDT 2008

Hi, Martin

You can try to use Google Webmasters tools to determine the problem.
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

It will show, for example, how Googlebot sees your site. Maybe
something is wrong in robots.txt file. Among the other tools there is
an option "Set preferred domain". I would suggest to try it first.

Hope it will help :)

Kolya

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Martin Losch <Martin.Losch at awi.de> wrote:
> Abbas,
> thanks, that's really helpful.
>
> I am still wondering what's wrong with the search page, though. The problem
> seems to be, that google cannot expand the alias mitgcm.org (which should
> expand to forge.csail.mit.edu, that's the name of the machine where the web
> pages of mitgcm live, but the computer or the name of this compute might
> change with time, whereas the domain name mitgcm.org should remain, that's
> why an alias is used):
> When I type into google
> netcdf site:http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/
> I get about 475 hits for "netcdf", but for this
> netcdf site:http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/
> I get only 1 hit, although the actual pages are the same.
>
> The html of the seach form looks like this:
>      <form action="http://www.google.com/u/MITgcm" method=get>
>          <input type=hidden name=domains value="mitgcm.org">
>          <input type=hidden name=hq value="inurl:mitgcm.org/pipermail">
>          <input name=q size=40 value="">
>          <input type=submit value="Google Search" name="submit">
>      </form>
>
> I wonder if there is a way to make google understand that mitgcm.org really
> is an alias that need to be expanded before searching.
> Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Martin
>
> On 28 May 2008, at 21:28, Abbas Dorostkar wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I thought this might be useful for everyone.
>> I usually use Google search tool to browse the support list. Click on
>> the advanced search option on the google page, put this link
>> "http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/" in the "Search
>> within a site or domain" box.
>> In this way, we can search the list easily.
>> Abbas

Nikolay Koldunov
International Max Planck Research School on Earth System Modelling,
Institut für Meereskunde der Universität Hamburg,
Zentrum für Meeres- und Klimaforschung

koldunovn at gmail.com
nikolay.koldunov at zmaw.de
ph. +49 40 428387479