[MITgcm-support] Internal waves experiments

Nataliya Stashchuk nataliya.stashchuk at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu May 15 09:40:49 EDT 2008

Dear Nicolas,

I've got some comments on your movie http://mitgcm.org/movies/Nicolas_Grisouard/Grisouard_Horn_et_al_2001.gif.
presenting disintegration of a basin-scale internal waves into a series of internal solitary waves.
The movie looks pretty interesting and realistic, so my congratulations!!

To this end, I would like to inform you that such a modelling (reproduction of D.A. Horn, J. Imberger and G.N. Ivey (JFM, 2001) laboratory experiment) has been performed recently using 2-D fully nonlinear nonhydrostatic model using Kolmogorov-scale grid resolution (DNS). The details of this modelling are presented in the paper  by N. Stashchuk, V. Vlasenko and K. Hutter published in Nonlinear processes in Geophysics.

http://www.nonlin-processes-geophys.net/12/955/2005/npg-12-955-2005.pdf

The details of the model can be found in our book Vlasenko V., Stashchuk, N.  and K. Hutter "Baroclinic tides" (Cambridge University Press, 2005).

Regards,

Nataliya Stashchuk