[MITgcm-support] cubed sphere

Elja Huibregtse J.N.Huibregtse at student.TUDelft.NL
Sun May 4 15:26:12 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Currently, I am working with the cubed sphere coordinates. Considering this coordinate system, I have some questions:
- Are the coordinates, XC and YC, provided by 'grid_cs32.face00[n].bin' (with n=1..6), spherical coordinates or cubed sphere coordinates?
- I have a formula in spherical coordinates. Do I have to transform this formula to cubed sphere coordinates? If yes, how do I transform back and forth, between spherical and cubed sphere coordinates? Is there any difference between the faces?
I found the article 'The Cubed Sphere' by C. Ronchi et all which presents transformation matrices. However, I can not fix it.

I appreciate your help!
Regards,
Elja