[MITgcm-support] (Fixed) spatially varying viscosity

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 20 14:49:53 EDT 2008

I heard a rumor that the newer versions of the MITgcm had the
capacity to load a fixed 3D field of the horizontal viscosity so that
one could specify a spatially varying, but temporally constant,
viscosity. However, I can't find anything about this in the CVS. Is
this rumor really just a rumor?

The reason I want a spatially varying horizontal viscosity is that
the viscosity necessary to resolve the Munk layers on the boundaries
is having a detrimental effect on my eddies in the interior. Thus, I
want to be able to specify a really low viscosity in the interior and
have it ramp up near the boundaries.

Thanks,
Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe                   858-534-4560
Physical Oceanography Research Division    OAR 357
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu