[MITgcm-support] Diffusivities

Thomas Zweigle Thomas.Zweigle at awi.de
Mon Mar 10 11:25:07 EDT 2008

Hi Christopher,
I have tested  a few advectionschemes
With magnitude in heat- and saltdiffusivity about 10^(-7) and 10^(-9)
m^2/s.
The  advectionschemes (4, 7, 30, 33, 80, 81) are very similar in the
results.
The used gridnet is 64 \times 128 Points with 1cm in horizontal and
2cm in vertical direction.
So I get "numerical" diffusivities. You can see it in the following
pictures

In the first picture you can see relative numerical diffusivities for
heat and salt (relative to the advectionscheme)
And the second one you see numerical diffusivities and the
diffusivities which should be.
You can see that the numerical diffusivity from salt is bigger as the
intrinsic salt-diffusivity
The reason why I get tis is because the grid net is not fine enough.

So I hope this would help you, Thomas