[MITgcm-support] Water at the bottom of NA below freezing point

Dror Mirzayof mdror at bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 5 02:21:24 EST 2008

Hi,

We are running the MITgcm coupled to an atmospheric model that we wrote
and based on Fanning & Weaver (1996) energy-moisture-balance-model. We
are using the "global_ocean_ebm" (which is 90x40x15) + ebm + seaice
configuration, where the EBM is actually used as an envelope for our
atmospheric model.
Following previous discussions with Martin Losch we are using advection
scheme 33 and LSR solver for SEAICE package.
The problem is that the bottom water of the high latitudes of the
north-Atlantic becomes very cold and drops below the freezing
temperature (-2.4 deg C).
To make sure that the problem is not with the advection scheme we
followed Martin suggestion and ran the model using the 1st  order upwind
scheme. We still had the same problem.
Did someone encounter a similar problem? Any idea how to solve this
extremely low bottom ocean temperature?

Thanks!
Dror Mirzayof
BIDR