[MITgcm-support] obcs, mass conservation and eta

Renske Gelderloos gelderlo at knmi.nl
Tue Jun 10 05:13:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm currently running the MIT-model with an idealized topography, trying
to simulate a boundary current. At the inflow I prescribed a T and U
section in geostrophic balance, at the outflow section I want to use the
Orlanski open boundary condition. In this configuration I run into
problems with extremely large varying values of eta and accompanying
serious discharges (in and out) at the outflow boundary.

Searching the archive of this list for solutions I found a lot of people
were confronted with similar or the same problems, but I could not
really find whether there is a solution for this problem. Can anyone
tell me more about the latest insights? Thanks!

Renske