[MITgcm-support] difference between writeStatePrec and writeBinaryPrec

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Jun 9 02:56:26 EDT 2008

Hi David,
yes, that's possible and simple: it's the default.

pickup files are always double precision (I don't think that that's
possible to change). The other ieee-be I/O precision is set via
readBinaryPrec and writeBinaryPrec which both default to precFloat32
= 32 (single precision).
If you want double precision output set writeBinaryPrec=64. If you
want to have your input (topography, initial conditions, etc) as
double precision, set readBinaryPrec=64 in "data".
writeStatePrec is not really used (as far as I can see), except for
some stuff which is related to adjoint variables I/O.

Martin