[MITgcm-support] packages: exf & bulk_force

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jun 5 02:38:47 EDT 2008

exf(+cal, does not work without it) and bulk_force are exclusive
packages. I am surprised that you can even run them together.
With exf, you can use the wind vector, air temperature, specific
humidity, downward radiation in the "longwave" and "shortwave" band
(lwdown, swdown). swdown contains the effects of clouds. I have
written a routine that estimates swdown and lwdown from air
temperature, dewpoints temperature and clouds, naturally without any
warranty, but it could be a starting point for you. The time
calculations need adjustment/work. There are various bulk formulae
for these fluxes and I used a specific set that is used for the
Arctic at AWI, you'll find more here:
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/meteorology/temp-dewpoint>