[MITgcm-support] Velocity cubed sphere + pickup seaice

Elja Huibregtse J.N.Huibregtse at student.TUDelft.NL
Wed Jun 4 10:45:40 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

The angles are indeed independent of the radius. But I'm still confused about how to change the parameters dxc, dyc, dxg etc.

The default of the cube-sphere integration (with sea ice on the cs32 grid) is:  usingCurvilinearGrid=.TRUE.
Trying usingSphericalPolarGrid=.TRUE. to make sure that dxg etc are adapted to the correct configuration, doesn't work; I get a segmentation fault.

I use the cubed sphere configuration (cs32), which means that the grid_cs32.face[n].bin files, with n=1..6, are read and used. Are these files (containing all cubed-sphere grid lengths, areas and grid-point positions) 'fixed' or based on the current configuration (radius)? In the model, I often use recip_dxc etc, which are (as far as I understand) dependent on these grid_cs32.face[n].bin files. Because recip_dxc etc, haven't been adapted, I use the wrong values.

I guess that the grid_cs32.face[n].bin files change if usingSphericalPolarGrid=.TRUE., but this doesn't work.
Thus, do I have to adapt the grid_cs32.face[n].bin files myself? Or is there another way to automatically change the parameters?

Thanks for your help,

Elja

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org namens Martin Losch
Verzonden: wo 6/4/2008 12:17
Aan: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Onderwerp: Re: [MITgcm-support] Velocity cubed sphere + pickup seaice

Elja,
you don't need to change set_defaults.F, you can set most of the
relevant parameters (such as rSphere, rotationPeriod or omega, etc in
"data"; have a look at ini_parms.F to see which parameters are
available in namelists.

rac=dxg*dyg in meters^2 (etc.), dxg etc are computed based on the
value of rSphere (if "usingSphericalPolarGrid=.true."). the radius is
only hard-coded in cubeCalcAngle.m, but does that matter? The angles
are absolutely independent of the radius, right?

Martin