[MITgcm-support] MITgcm on Sun Fire cluster

Abbas Dorostkar abbas.dorostkar at ce.queensu.ca
Mon Jun 2 11:55:08 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have been running a test case -internal wave test case in
nonhydrostatic mode- with MPI on a SunFire cluster. Unfortunately, the
performance of the model on the cluster is terrible in comparison with
the same run on my desktop computer.

Here, I mentioned the wall clock times for both systems:

On the cluster , Sun Fire 2500 server with 72 (2 MB on-chip L2 cache and
32 MB L3 cache)  dual-core UltraSPARC-IV+ 1.5 GHZ processors with 676 GB
of RAM:

serial-- > 457 s

np=2 -- > 353 s

np=4 -- > 275 s

np=6 -- > 315 s

On my Desktop (Intel core 2 Due - 2.4 GHZ - 4 MB cache - 1066 MHZ FSB ):

serial -- > 171 s

np=2 --->  162 s

I use the sunos_sun4u_mpf77+mpi_sunfire optfile shipped with the MITgcm
model (v 1.4 2007/02/18). I have to mention that I get following
warnings while I compile the model on the cluster:

make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target PACKAGES_CONFIG.h
make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target AD_CONFIG.h
make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target FC_NAMEMANGLE.h
make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target BUILD_INFO.h

Does anyone  know what is going wrong? Should I change something in the
optfile (e.g adding some optimization flags)?

Your help is much appreciated!

Abbas