[MITgcm-support] netcdf with curvilinear grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jan 30 08:44:33 EST 2008

Hi Chris,
sorry to be imprecise.
Here <http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/gridfiles.tar> you'll find a tarball
with all input grid files (for both OLD_GRID_IO define and
undefined), and the output grid.t00[1,2].nc for the OLD_GRID_IO case.
There are two separate problems:

1. with OLD_GRID_IO defined the second tile netcdf output is flipped
(grid.t002.nc, you'll notice the shapes of England/Ireland look funny
in HFacC, etc.). The model runs fine and give reasonable results, and
rdmnc.m can even read all output files and put them together
properly. glumnc can not do that.
2. with OLD_GRID_IO undefined I have not been able to make the model
read the grid information properly (I did not talk about this problem
in my previous email). Processor 1 is OK (reads from
tile001.mitgrid), but Processor 2 reads also from tile001.mitgrid and
thus the same grid information as Processor 1, so that I have a
domain that's twice the lower half of the domain. I have also tried
to have only one tile001.mitgrid with everything in it, but even then
Processor 2 only reads the part that was meant for Processor 1 only
(indecent sob, that Processor 2).
Interestingly for this configuration, the netcdf output for
HFacC,Depth, etc is OK, so not flipping of the j-index, very strange.

Can you make anything of this?

Martin