[MITgcm-support] Something very slow has happened to the pressure solver

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 27 01:58:20 EST 2008

Hello modelers,

I ran MITgcm on a Cray X1E (Phoenix at ORNL) about a year ago with
good results. I recently got more time on this machine and downloaded
the latest MITgcm checkpoint (59n), but was dismayed to find that this
checkpoint is A LOT (like 5x) slower than the one I was originally
using (58q_post). I ran freshly compiled versions of
checkpoint_58q_post and checkpoint_59n with identical model
configurations, compiler options, and CPP options (to the extent
possible) and discovered that the pressure solver in 59n takes ten
times (!) more CPU time on the X1E than the pressure solver from
58q_post. No other routine seems to have acquired more than about 10%
greater overhead. Interestingly, I have not noticed significant
increases in the pressure solver overhead on IBM sp4 machines.

Before I start a flurry of diffs, does anyone have any idea what has
has been done to the pressure solver over the past year that would
have had such a significant impact on its performance on the Cray?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe              	   858-534-4560
Physical Oceanography Research Division    OAR 357
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu