[MITgcm-support] Offline Velocity Fields

Ryan Abernathey rpa at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 26 18:44:04 EST 2008

Hello MITgcm people,

I am running an offline tracer advection using 3D velocity fields
(from Matt Mazloff's SOSE model).

I would like to interpolate the velocity fields to a finer grid.
Specifically, I would like to go from 1/6th degree to 1/12th degree
-- twice the resolution.

I first tried the most obvious thing and simply refined each field
without taking the boundaries into account. (I just added extra
points in between each grid point and interpolated.) I did the same
procedure to refine the bathymetry file. As I suspected, when I ran
the advection, divergent fluxes near the boundaries acted as tracer
sinks.

Could someone suggest a better way to approach this problem? I know
that my fields need to be non-divergent and satisfy a no-normal-flux
boundary condition. However, I can't see how to force my fields to
satisfy these conditions. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan Abernathey
rpa at mit.edu
MIT Ph.D. Student