[MITgcm-support] Stratification simulations

David Hebert hebert at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Feb 11 14:31:42 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have run two identical simulations, one with a constant temperature
field, and one with temperature gradient specified via tRef array. The
simulations are run in non-hydrostatic mode. When I compute the vertical
velocity fields, and consequently vertical KE = 0.5 w^2, the results are
identical.

I have checked the temperature field and indeed there is a temperature
gradient. Also, the diagnostic DRHODR and there is a value there for
each vertical level of -0.0408. However, the diagnostic RHOAnoma and
RHOANOSQ are all zeros. It seems as if the density stratification does
not affect the flow. I have turned on the tempForcing flag. Are there
any flags in the datafile that should be turned on?

Other notes/questions:
1) I turned tempStepping off because I wanted a constant gradient just
to demonstrate effects due to stratification. Should this be turned on?
2) Do I need to have an initial temperature field to obtain a RHOAnoma
value, since it is RHOAnoma is used in the code
3) My domain is small, 480x160x160m^3. Grid resolution 1m. Velocity max
= 0.2 m/s. Simulations integrated with dt=1s for 10800 seconds.
4) I have been looking through src/calc_gw.F and don't see a gravity
term. Could someone point me to where is the gravity term introduced
into the model? Is it in correction_step.F? I see something in
calc_buoyancy.F, but I do not see where CALC_BUOYANCY is being called from.

Any help in setting up the model for stratification is greatly
appreciated. Thank you much,

David