[MITgcm-support] cubed sphere

Elja Huibregtse J.N.Huibregtse at student.TUDelft.NL
Tue Apr 29 10:59:33 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Currently, I am using the cubed sphere coordinate system. I want to apply a tidal potential, which is known in spherical coordinates and I need to calculate the gradient of this potential field.
So, first of all, I need to transform the potential function from spherical coordinates into cubed sphere coordinates. Next, I have to calculate the gradient.

Transformation formulas are described in the article 'The Cubed Sphere: A new method for the solution of partial differential equations in spherical geometry' written by C. Ronchi et all. Does anyone have experience in transforming coordinates into cubed-sphere-coordinates, using for example these equations?

Or does a mitgcm-subroutine exist which performs this transformation and calculates the gradient?

I really appriciate your help!
Elja