[MITgcm-support] Re: rotate_spherical_polar_grid.F

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Apr 1 05:24:35 EDT 2008

Hi Micheal,

I am replying via the support list, as this may be interesting to
others:
I implemented the rotation so that you have to supply
1. the rotated coordiates via thetaMin,phiMin,dx/ySpacing, delX/Y, or
files
2. the Euler angles that produce this rotated grid
rotate_spherical_polar_grid will then compute the real geographical
coordinates (XC,YC,XG,YG) so that you can use the on-the-fly
interpolation of the exf-package. These coordinates are then only
used for computation of the coriolis force (and the interpolation of
the exf-package).
As an example, this is what I do for a 1/4-degree grid with the
equator rotated into the North Pole with the Euler angles (-30,-90,-90):
> &PARM04
> usingCartesianGrid=.FALSE.,
> usingSphericalPolarGrid=.TRUE.,
> #usingCurvilinearGrid = .TRUE.,
>  delR= ???
>  phiMin   = -20.75,
>  thetaMin = -20.75,
>  dxSpacing=0.25,
>  dySpacing=0.25,
>  phiEuler = -30.,
>  thetaEuler = -90.,
>  psiEuler = -90.,
>  &

Martin

PS. I admit that the name rotate_spherical_polar_grid is not a very
good choice, it probably should have been called "rotate_back" or so.
PPS. the routine "calc_angles" which is in
rotate_spherical_polar_grid.F could also be used to compute the angle
between "grid-north" and geographical north for any grid, but it's
not yet done.