[MITgcm-support] balancing the heat equation

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Sep 7 03:13:10 EDT 2007

Hi Nicolas/Allison,

the safest way to find out what diagnostics are available is to have
a look in the respective "diagnostics_init" files. The are usually:
pkg/diagnostics/diagsnostics_init_main.F (for general stuff, e.g.
TOTTTEND)
pkg/$pkg/$pkg_diagnostics_init.F
so for all the advective and diffusive stuff you'd have to look in
pkg/generic_advdiff/gad_diagnostics_init.F (which is already a
counter example to the about scheme, oh well).

Anyway, for checking the balance offline you'll find everything in
these two files except for the non-local transport of KPP. Since you
have all the other terms, you could assume that the residual is the
non-local transport of KPP. If you don't trust the MITgcm (shame on
you (-:) then you'll have to do the modifications suggested earlier
in this thread.

Martin