[MITgcm-support] ptracers help/manual

Manfredi Manizza mmanizza at ocean.mit.edu
Mon May 21 16:14:38 EDT 2007

Hi Christopher,

I hope I rightly understood what you need.

I guess you want to use an input file of a assive tracer where you set a
value you pick and you want to keep it fixed in time for the whole
simulation as a constant source of tracer that you want to follow
as advected and diffused by the circulation fields.

IF this IS the case you need to have :

File # 1 - An input file corresponding to your tracer source X by Y (your
domain) with values you set that could be the same everywhere or what is more appropriate for
your purpose like a source only in a fraction of the domain. Let's call it
FILE_TRC.bin

File # 2 - A correpsoning file with same dimension where in the position
(i,j) of your domain you put 1 if you want to have a constant source or 0 if you do not.
Let's call it RESTORE_FILE.bin

File # 3 - IF you run a regional domain you would need a "sponge layer" at
the boundaries in order to prevent that what goes outside enters back from
the other side. Let's call RELAX_FILE.bin

To generate this third file you need to set the value all around the
boundary equal to 1 and apply an exponential fuction that sets the
value of decay of the tracer that is maximum at the boundary (1)
and then decreases as soon as you move inside your domain.

If this third point is not clear, I can send you the matlab script that
does that so you can adjust it to your domain.

So then, once you have the files ready, you follow this below :

In the "data.ptracers" (in the run direcory) file, you MUST have :

&PTRACERS_PARM01
  PTRACERS_numInUse=1,
  PTRACERS_Iter0= 0,
#
# The following option is now obsolete:
#  PTRACERS_write_mnc=.TRUE.,
#
# tracer 1 -
  PTRACERS_names(1)='trc1',
  PTRACERS_long_names(1)='trc1',
  PTRACERS_units(1)='mol/m^3',
  PTRACERS_advScheme(1)=77,
  PTRACERS_diffKh(1)=0.E3,
  PTRACERS_diffKr(1)=1.E-5,
  PTRACERS_useGMRedi(1)=.FALSE. ,
  PTRACERS_useKPP(1)=.FALSE. ,
  PTRACERS_initialFile(1)='FILE_TRC.BIN',
  &

In your "data.rbcs" (in the run directory) you MUST have :
# Relax Boundary Conditions parameters
  &RBCS_PARM01
  tauRelaxT = 0.,
  tauRelaxS = 0.,
  relaxMaskFile(1) = ' ',
  relaxMaskFile(2) = ' ',
  relaxMaskFile(3) = 'RELAX_FILE.bin',
  relaxTFile = ' ',
  relaxSFile = ' ',
  rbcsIniter = 0,
  rbcsForcingPeriod = 15552000.,
  rbcsForcingCycle = 0.,
  useRBCtemp = .FALSE.,
  useRBCsalt = .FALSE.,
  useRBCptracers = .TRUE.,
  &end

  &RBCS_PARM02
  useRBCptrnum(1)=.TRUE.
  tauRelaxPTR(1) = 1200.,
  relaxPtracerFile(1) = 'RESTORE_FILE.bin',
  &end

In this way you should be able to not to touch the code
for your experiments just changing those input files
should be enough.

I guess this should work as it has been working for my regional Artcic
Ocean regional set-up if I understood what you needed.

Cheers
Manfredi

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Christopher L. Wolfe wrote:

> Hello modelers,
>
> Does anyone know if there is any documentation for the ptracers package? All
> I can find in the manual is the offline tutorial and a few comments in the
> package source, but that's not totally helpful. The tutorial shows how to set
> up ptracers as an initial value problem, but I want to use it as a boundary
> value problem. Specifically, I want to fix the surface distribution of the
> tracers and see how the surface values are transported through the model. Is
> this possible with the ptracers package? If so, how does one do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher

Manfredi Manizza
Postdoctoral Associate