[MITgcm-support] Inital velocities

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 5 16:54:03 EST 2007

Hi Jody,

It is fairly easy to specify initial velocity fields.  One would do
it in the data file in PARM list 5:
.
.
.
# Input datasets
&PARM05
bathyFile=      'bathy_file.bin',
uVelInitFile=   'U_ini.bin',
vVelInitFile=   'V_ini.bin',
hydrogThetaFile='T_ini.bin',
hydrogSaltFile= 'S_ini.bin',
/

see the verification experiments for an example if you need more
guidance.  There should be several that specify initial fields.
(e.g:  MITgcm/verification/internal_wave/input)

The input file format should be big endian and the precision should
be the same that was specified in the PARM list 1 of the data file
(readBinaryPrec=  32  or 64,)

You cannot specify vertical velocity explicitly (W) as it is
calculated immediately from the divergence of U and V.  (so you don't
need to prescribe it)

-Matt