[MITgcm-support] diagnostics at last timestep

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Mar 2 15:51:53 EST 2007

Hi,

Just for clarity:
The ability to write output at the last iteration
(setting dumpAtLast=True) is implemented for time
average diagnostic (positive frequency), with, among others,
the idea that if you stop the simulation between 2 write,
you don't loose the last (incomplete) time averaged.
It's not implemented for snap-shot (negative frequency),
relying on the assumption that the output frequency and phase
which the user selected represent accurately what he wanted.

An other reason (relevant for state variable like UVEL)
is that the final state is not available (because no filling
of the big diagnostics array is done at the end of a run),
so that it take out one of the potential advantages of
having a snap-shot diagnostics written at the end if
dumpAtLast=T. In other words, the pkg/diagnostics does
not replace snap-shot output of state variables (more efficient
to write it directly) and specially the last one (not
available with pkg/diagnostics).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel