[MITgcm-support] dumpFreq & MNC package

Laure Grignon lg804 at noc.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 11:19:13 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm using the MIT with the MNC package to get a netcdf output. I appear to
have the state generated more frequently than set in my data file. It is not
the case when the same snapshot is written several times in the state file,
because the snapshot is different at each timestep.
I tried setting dumpFreq to different values, and always get the same
problem, even for very short runs. I've checked on the screen output that
dumpFreq is actually read as set in the data file, and it is (not only when
the data file is first read, but also later when all the parameters of the
model are displayed with their values, even the ones not in the data file).

I also tried changing the timestep: no difference. The frequency at which
the snapshots are written is not even proportional to the number of
timesteps. (which rules out any confusion with the pickup files frequency)
Although, when I set dumpFreq to 0, only the initial and final states are
written, as it should be.
The most surprising is that I managed to make it run properly before, with
some slight changes in the data file.

Does anybody have any idea on where that might come from? Is there a
parameter I have neglected/ haven't set properly? Here is part of my data
file:

# Time stepping parameters
 &PARM03
 nIter0=0,
 startTime=0.0,
# nTimeSteps=5040,
 endTime=7200,
 deltaT=120,
 abEps=0.1,
# create a pickup file each day
# pChkpt: *permanent pickup file
 pChkptFreq=86400.0,
#alternating pickup file: each 1/6th day:
 chkptFreq=14400.0,
 dumpFreq=3600,
 monitorFreq=0,
 cAdjFreq=-1,
 periodicExternalForcing=.TRUE.,
 externForcingPeriod=86400,
 externForcingCycle=10454400,
 &

Thanks for your help!
Laure

Laure Grignon
PhD: Observing the ocean using sub-sea gliders
Ocean Observation and Climate (566/13)
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
University of Southampton, Waterfront Campus
European Way
Southampton
SO14 3ZH
United Kingdom