[MITgcm-support] Problem with EXF package

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 6 13:52:01 EST 2007

Hi there,

if you are using exf,
then the parameters in file "data" under PRM03 related to
>   periodicExternalForcing=.TRUE.,
>   externForcingPeriod=43200., <-- your period
>   externForcingCycle=86400.,  <--- your circle
are ignored.
If they aren't ignored, something unwanted (i.e. wrong) is going on.

Abbas,
a bit hard to figure out your problem.
Quick look at your output says that,
1. you have enabled EXF,
2. exf reads wind speed fields uwind, vwind properly,
    (in your output look for %MON exf_ ... )
3. You are prescribing constant uwind=10 m/s, vwind =0 m/s, right?
    (in your output uwind_min=uwind_max=10)
4. No calculation of ustress, vstress from uwind, vwind takes place,
    which is odd.

One suspicion:
in EXF_OPTIONS.h set
# undef ALLOW_ATM_TEMP
which means you only want to provide atmospheric wind (speeds),
but not atmos. state (atemp, aqh, etc).
There is a subtle
           if ( atemp(i,j,bi,bj) .ne. 0. _d 0 ) then

statement in that block if code expects atmospheric state,
which might be the cause of your problem.

If that doesn't help:
If you're courrageous (which you should be),
have a look at
1. exf_wind.F and see whether cw, sw fields are nonzero,
2. exf_bulkformulae.F whether ustress, vstress are computed proprely.

-Patrick