[MITgcm-support] exf pkg

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 20 15:42:09 EDT 2007

Eli,

On Apr 20, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Eli Biton wrote:

> Hi all
> Is there any way to set different "repeatPeriod"  when using
> recycling forcing field via the exf pkg?
> For example setting climatological values for sfluxFile (and then
> repeatPeriod=1year and sfluxPeriod=1month) and hourly values for
> heat fluxes repeated every day (and then repeatPeriod=1day and
> sfluxPeriod=1hour).

not possible to set indivudual repeatPeriod's currently,
I'm afraid.

But should still be possible to do what you want to do.
Set:
repeatPeriod = (1year in seconds)
sFluxPeriod = -12,    (this is recognized as monthly climatological
forcing)
hFluxPeriod = 3600.,

and then (I'm afraid) duplicate 360 (or 365, depending on whether
you are using usingModelCalendar or usingGregorianCalendar)
records in your hFluxFile.
A bit of a pain, but it works.

> Another question is: when recycling is omitted (i.e. repeatPeriod
> =0), it is mining that the forcing file will be activated once for
> a period of the "FilePeriod" value, starting from FileStartDate
> (i.e.  FileStartDate1+FileStartDate2 specified in data.exf)?

Yes, first record is at YYMMDD= FileStartDate1, HHMMSS= FileStartDate2
next record is "FilePeriod" seconds later.
That allows real-world forcing (including leap years) over many years.
See online doc for more.

-p.