[MITgcm-support] Wave damping

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:31:24 EDT 2007

Hi Patrick,

I guess your recent e-mail is related to this one.

If the waves are in the external mode, the fully implicit
time-stepping (backward in time) will damp the waves.
You could try the Crank-Nickelson time stepping:
 implicSurfPress=0.5,
 implicDiv2DFlow=0.5,
(see verification/adjustment.cs-32x32x1/input.nlfs/data)
that conserve the external mode energy.
But I am not so sure that it works well with the Non-Hydrostatic
option (In fact, I've never tried).

Jean-Michel