[MITgcm-support] viscosity and corners

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 9 16:33:17 EDT 2007

Hi Mike,
   There is some discussion in

  A. Adcroft and D. Marshall, 1998: How Slippery are Piecewise-
Constant Coastlines in Numerical Ocean Models? Tellus 50A, 95-108.

But really, the safe way to go is not to think in terms of the du/dy,
but in terms of the viscous fluxes.  For slippery boundaries, the
viscous fluxes normal to the boundary should vanish.  It is very easy
to get confused otherwise!  In fact, the rotated coordinate system
case in the Adcroft and Marshall can be made to be more sensible (and
in agreement with the unrotated case) if boundary conditions are
specified in terms of fluxes.

   -Baylor