[MITgcm-support] Numerical diffusion

chris hill cnh at mit.edu
Fri Sep 29 07:32:49 EDT 2006

Lars,

  The centered second order scheme is not diffusive, but it is dispersive!

  There is a section in the online reference manual

http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node85.html

on how ( mostly horizontal ) viscosity is calculated. For vertical
mixing there is Large et al KPP code incorporated into the dynamics.

  Martin Losch at AWI was recently thinking about whether to connect to
the GOTM suite of schemes. He may have some thoughts on this. Martin
also has a nice channel setup that he may be willing to share? He is on
this list.

Chris