[MITgcm-support] Numerical diffusion

Lars Inge Enstad Lars.Inge.Enstad at bccs.uib.no
Fri Sep 29 04:51:30 EDT 2006

Hello

I am currently trying to implement an alternative vertical turbulence
model in MITgcm (GOTM (General Ocean Turbulence Model Burchard et
al.), has this been tried before?). My question is about the numerical
diffusion in the momentum advection scheme in MITgcm. How does this
depend on the spatial and temporal discretisation? What is the momentum
advection scheme with the lowest possible numerical diffusion in
MITgcm?

One of the test cases I want to verify the code with is channel
flow. In previous models I have used for channel flow, I have used a
constant pressure gradient to force the flow. Is there some easy way
to set up MITgcm this way?

Best Regards
Lars Inge Enstad

--