[MITgcm-support] help me get started solving Boussinesq equations

Lucas Merckelbach lmm at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 26 04:00:31 EDT 2006

Hi Jeff,

> Now, I need to setup my particular problem.  Given an initial
> temperature and salinity state in a 2D spatial domain, I would like to
> use MITgcm to solve the Boussinesq equations through time, using
> periodic boundary conditions.  Eventually I would like to extend this to
> 3D.
>
> So, to start, I'm wondering which of the canned examples supplied with
> MITgcm would be a good place for me to start tweaking?

I would probably start with a very simple experiment, the baroclinic gyre
for example (epx0 or so?) And then changing step by step some features of
that experiment to something you want to solve. For instance, you wouldn't
need a prescription of the wind shear stress, but you want a temperature
field. You then typically would like to change that in the "data" file (to
make MITgcm read in a temperature field) and generate an appropriate
temperature field file. With each experiment there are scripts supplied
that generate the input data for that particular experiment. If you
understand what these do then it is relatively straight forward to apply
the script to generate a temp. field rather then a wind shear stress
field. Pay attention to the big endian and little endian issues. (depends
on your hardware and compiler settings)

As long as you don't put in some walls at the boundaries (by specifying
them in the bathymetry) then the boundary conditions are considered cyclic
by default.

Hope this helps.

Lucas