[MITgcm-support] Bug R_X86_64_PC32

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Sep 11 10:00:02 EDT 2006

On Mon 11 Sep 2006 05:31, Nataliya Stashchuk wrote:

> I think that the answer is in restrictions of compiler g77 which was
> used in computers with different architecture (old is with 32 bit, new
> is with 64 bit). I can compile the code with g77 for 32 bit
> architecture, but can not compile the same code when I use 64 bit
> architecture.
>
> What compiler is better to use in computer with 64 bit?

In order to use the extra registers offered in an x86_64/AMD64/EM64T system
you have to use a 64-bit compiler. This is a speed issue.

You can demand 32-bit mode by adding (in FFLAGS and CFLAGS) the "-m32" flag on
your new system. That will use 32-bit mode and the 8 x87 floating point
registers instead of the 16 SSE ones. If you were to further add
"-mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2" you would get to use 8 of the 16 SSE registers in
32-bit mode.

However I still wonder whether you tried (in the default 64-bit mode) to
compile and link everything with a -fPIC flag.

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences