[MITgcm-support] Fw: Details about MITgcm

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Sep 7 19:45:41 EDT 2006

Hi Sankar,

I've subscribed you to the MITgcm-support list (the appropriate place
for these questions).  The answers are:

 (1) No, MITgcm does not support triangular elements.  In
     the horizontal directions it works with curvilinear
     orthogonal quadrilateral elements.  This supports
     quite a bit of grid flexibility -- one can readily
     approximate coastal domains.

 (2) MITgcm has been developed primarily on Linux and Unix
     machines so it runs most easily on them.  It is also
     know to work well on Mac OS X and reasonably well on
     Windows machines within the Cygwin environment:

       http://www.cygwin.com/

Ed

Begin forwarded message: