[MITgcm-support] rstar coordinates

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Oct 18 08:53:12 EDT 2006

Hi Patrick,

a) hydrostatic refers to the hydrostatic approximation under which
the vertical momentum equation reduces to: dp/dz = -g*rho. If you set
nonHydrostatic=.true., you'll have vertical accelerations (dw/dt is
nonzero) and in addition to solving for 2d pressure, you are solving
a 3d elliptic pressure equation, which makes the integration at least
twice as expensive. In general, non-hydrostatic dynamics are required
where strong vertical accelerations are necessary, eg. in simulating
convective plumes, at horizontal scales <1000m to 100m. See
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node20.html
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node39.html
The term hydrodynamic (which is not the same as non-hydrostatic,
stupid terminology, I agree) is misleading in this context.
b) rigidLid=.false., and implicitFreeSurface=.true.,
c) correct
d) r-star works only with non-linear free surface
(nonlinFreeSurf=4,select_rstar=2)
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node40.html
and following chapters for more details
e) no, from model/inc/PARAMS.h:
> C     implicSurfPress :: parameter of the Crank-Nickelson time
> stepping :
> C                     Implicit part of Surface Pressure Gradient
> ( 0-1 )
> C     implicDiv2Dflow :: parameter of the Crank-Nickelson time
> stepping :
> C                     Implicit part of barotropic flow Divergence
> ( 0-1 )
As far as I can see, setting these two parameters to zero makes the
free surface explicit, but not sure. See also:
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node41.html

In principle with linear free surface, the surface elevation can have
larger amplitudes than the thickness of the surface cell, but that
does not make sense. So if you observe that it makes sense to switch
to nonlinear free surface with r-star coordinates. Once the r-star
coordinates are turned on, the entire vertical grid is scaled with
the surface elevation (not just the surface layer).

Does this help?

Martin