[MITgcm-support] Spinup in a 2-D channel surface waves?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Oct 5 16:09:50 EDT 2006

Hello,

I want to perform spinup of a 2-D channel to along-channel winds for
a class I'm teaching.  While I'm sure the MITgcm is overkill for
this, I'm at least vaguely familiar with it.

I have the winds blowing, the channel seems to behave, and an Ekman
layer seems to form.  However, the surface pressure is not behaving
and I'm finding the docs on the surface pressure solver opaque enough
that I thought I'd ask for help here.

My vertical resolution near the surface is 0.75m, for 40 bins.  The
total water depth is as deep as 200 m, with sloping sides in a 20 km-
wide channel.  dx = 200 m.

What happens is I blow a south wind, the Ekman layers pile water up
in the west and move it away from the East. However, the depth
anomalies do not seem to get large enough, and the ones that do form
do not propagate more than a couple of grid cells away at anything
like the surface wave speed.  For instance, the cross-channel Ekman
flux reaches 1 m^2/s, which should be changing the surface tilt by
something like 36 cm over an hour. However, after 7 h or so (in sim
time), I still have 10 cm-high anomalies in the grids adjacent to the
edge of the channel, and nothing more than 3 grid cells away.

Any hints what I've done wrong or suggestions for getting the
barotropic pressure gradient to set up properly across the channel
would be very helpful!

Thanks a lot,  Jody

In "data" I hope the relevant parameters are:

viscAz=1.E-3,
viscAh=1.E-3,
no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,
no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,